Andrew D. Peterson
Andrew Peterson is a founding member of Jachimiak Peterson Kummer, LLC. He focuses his practice on construction law, property damage and personal injury matters, including premises liability and motor vehicle accidents.
With respect to construction law, Andrew has defended builders, developers, engineers, contractors, subcontractors, manufacturers and material suppliers in complex construction defect cases around the state. He has represented all kinds of trades, including plumbers, framers, roofers, HVAC contractors, masonry contractors, painters, landscapers and others. Andrew’s construction law experience spans a broad spectrum of cases, including single family residential, multi-family residential and commercial projects. He handles cases in Colorado courts and arbitration proceedings.
Andrew also has an extensive appellate practice and regularly defends employers in connection with all types of employment law claims before administrative agencies and federal and state courts. In addition, he has experience with homeowners association disputes, professional malpractice, insurance policy interpretation, subrogation, and other personal injury and commercial matters.
Andrew strives to provide the highest quality legal representation to his clients in a cost effective manner. He recognizes the importance of early case evaluation so that an appropriate defense strategy can be developed, whether that means resolution by settlement or aggressive defense tactics. He has successfully litigated cases at all levels, achieving favorable results for his clients. Andrew has obtained defense verdicts at trial and summary dismissal of claims on behalf of his clients.
Some achievements include:
- Summary judgment in favor of client general contractor against independent contractor’s personal injury claims based on workers’ compensation statute. Dismissal affirmed on appeal.
- Dismissal of premises liability lawsuit filed by patron of tenant’s bar on motion to dismiss on behalf of client commercial property owner. Recovered fees and costs against plaintiff.
- Summary judgment on behalf of client subcontractor against personal injury and construction defect claims filed by homeowner.
- Summary judgment in favor of client builder against construction defect claims by residential homeowners due to foreclosure and bankruptcy proceedings.
- Defense verdict in personal injury jury trial on behalf of client transit bus operator.
- Successfully quashed improper service of process on client subcontractor.
- Obtained dismissal of client restaurant at end of first day of trial in real estate transaction dispute.
- Summary judgment granted to client commercial property manager in subrogation action for property damage based on terms of contract. Recovered fees and costs against plaintiff.
- Dismissal of sub-subcontractor’s personal injury claims against client builder based on workers’ compensation statute. Dismissal affirmed on appeal.
- Summary judgment in favor of client preschool in response to claims of discrimination, harassment and retaliation by former employee.
- Summary judgment on claims filed by inmate against client corrections officer.
- Judgment on the pleadings granted in favor of client subcontractor against another subcontractor’s personal injury claims.
- Summary judgment on behalf of client commercial property manager in slip and fall premises liability lawsuit.
- Successfully quashed improper service of process on client former employee.
Andrew earned his law degree from the University of Iowa College of Law in 2001. While attending law school, he served as a Case Editor on the Moot Court Board and participated in the appellate advocacy program. Andrew received a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science with a Spanish minor in 1998 from Iowa State University. Andrew graduated with distinction and was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa and Cardinal Key, Iowa State’s highest honor society based on the four cardinal virtues of scholarship, leadership, service and character.
Andrew is a member of the American, Colorado and Denver Bar Associations. He is a member of the Construction Law Committee of the Colorado Defense Lawyers Association. Andrew is active in the community, in the past serving as Chair of the Governing Board of The Gathering Place, a Denver nonprofit dedicated to the plight of women and children experiencing homelessness and poverty.
- Appellate Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Contracts
- Construction Defect
- Design Defect
- Civil Rights Litigation
- Employment Counseling
- Employment Litigation
- Homeowners Association
- Insurance Coverage
- Property Damage
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Motor Vehicle Accident
- Professional Malpractice
The Jury Is Seated: Preferred Vendor Programs, National Institute of
Restoration Executive Leadership Conference,
Nashville, TN, April 2010
“What to Do When It’s Time to Say ‘Hit the Road, Jack,’” Restoration &
Remediation Magazine, March 11, 2008
“Protect Your Assets: Covenants Not to Compete and Nondisclosure
Agreements,” Restoration & Remediation
Magazine, August 23, 2007
Covenants Not to Compete and Employment Issues in the Restoration
Business, National Institute of Restoration Executive Leadership
Conference, San Antonio, TX, May 2007
D.R. Horton, Inc. v. Travelers Indem. Co. of Am., 860 F. Supp. 2d 1246 (D. Colo. 2012)
Snook v. Joyce Homes, Inc., 215 P.3d 1210 (Colo. App. 2009)
Butler v. Lembeck, 182 P.3d 1185 (Colo. App. 2007)
Continental Divide Ins. Co. v. Western Skies Management, Inc., 107 P.3d 1145 (Colo. App. 2004)
Colorado Defense Lawyers Association, Construction Law Committee
Denver Bar Association
Colorado Bar Association, Construction Law Section
American Bar Association
The Gathering Place, Former Chair of the Governing Board
Grant Avenue Street Reach
United States District Court, District of Colorado
United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
University of Iowa College of Law, Iowa City, Iowa
Moot Court Board, Case Editor
Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
B.A., Political Science, with distinction, 1998
Phi Beta Kappa
Cardinal Key Honor Society